23.7.13

Flamboyant, but Not a Homosexual

 

Angie and David

When a woman is acts a little masculine, it really isn’t that big of a deal. In fact a lot of woman act ‘masculine’. It’s not something they can help, but part of their personality. In fact, some men find that sort of personality sexy. Just because a woman is a bit masculine doesn’t mean she’s lesbian, transgender, or transvestite in any stretch of the imagination. Luckily, for most people it’s quite acceptable. A woman can wear men’s clothing, pants, and lovely short haircuts without question.

So why is it so completely appalling when a man is feminine…and straight?

We see ‘feminine’ men quite often now days, but, stereotypically they are homosexual. And even homosexual men aren’t able to get away with walking around in woman’s clothing without teasing, or a comment here and there. If a guy walks into his high-school classroom in a dress, he is suddenly ‘gay’ or a ‘fag’. A man walks to the shop with a purse, he is automatically classified as a ‘homo’.

It’s happened to me quite a bit. It’s no secret that I like to wear a bizarre style of clothing, or occasionally some eye-catching make-up, and some people are quite accepting of it, but usually their reaction to something that is along the lines Angie&Davidof “Oh, so you’re gay? Oh!”.

I’m not a homosexual, if anything, I’m a bisexual, or just a little bit queer in general. I like woman, more than anything, but it takes a very special and open minded woman to like me. Most (and I say most, not all) woman want a man who is strong, attractive, self reliant, and daring, not a sensitive and delicate guy like myself.

Wearing cross-sexual styles, and cosmetics doesn’t make me feel like any less of a man. I don’t mind the teasing, or the stares, or the comments. I’m just curious as to why a girl can still be a girl when she uses a wallet rather than a purse, or decides to get a men’s haircut, but when a man decides to put on lipstick, he becomes a ‘homo’?

Maybe I should be thankful, there was a time where it was unheard of for a woman to wear pants, and unacceptable for men to have too long of hair. But It would be nice if people could stop assuming that a man who looks feminine or acts is gay, it’s more of part of his nature, or identity, and personality then it is his sexuality.

The hardest part of being a flamboyant straight man is dating. What sort of girls am I supposed to date? Straight woman? Feminine woman? Masculine woman? Bisexual woman? I just like who I like, but most girls find it hard to get past the femininity in myself, especially since it hasn’t been ‘popular’ since the glam rock era.

I totally respect feminine homosexuals who love the same sort of thing as me, and transvestites, and transgender woman, but people should realize there is a difference between each one of them, and just because I fit the popular stereotype for a flaming homosexual, it doesn’t necessarily mean I like men.

No comments:

Post a Comment